CUTSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: March 2007
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEcut - remove sections from each line of files
SYNOPSIScut [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -b, --bytes=LIST
- select only these bytes
- -c, --characters=LIST
- select only these characters
- -d, --delimiter=DELIM
- use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter
- -f, --fields=LIST
- select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified
- complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields.
- -s, --only-delimited
- do not print lines not containing delimiters
- use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of:
- N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1
- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line
- from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field
- from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field
AUTHORWritten by David Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <email@example.com>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info cut
should give you access to the complete manual.
examples of using cut
Using cut - Shellscript string manipulation
Mass Modifying HTML Templates with Bash
Parse ifconfig data with shell scripts
Working with CSV files in Bash
Last 50 Characters of Each line
Screen Script, Part Deux
Remove lines that are in another file
Bash Script Renaming Files