FMTSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: March 2007
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEfmt - simple optimal text formatter
SYNOPSISfmt [-DIGITS] [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Reformat each paragraph in the FILE(s), writing to standard output. If no FILE or if FILE is `-', read standard input.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -c, --crown-margin
- preserve indentation of first two lines
- -p, --prefix=STRING
- reformat only lines beginning with STRING, reattaching the prefix to reformatted lines
- -s, --split-only
- split long lines, but do not refill
- -t, --tagged-paragraph
- indentation of first line different from second
- -u, --uniform-spacing
- one space between words, two after sentences
- -w, --width=WIDTH
- maximum line width (default of 75 columns)
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
AUTHORWritten by Ross Paterson.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <email@example.com>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for fmt is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and fmt programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info fmt
should give you access to the complete manual.