PRINTFSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: March 2007
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEprintf - format and print data
SYNOPSISprintf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]...
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT.
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are:
- double quote
- character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits)
- Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits)
- Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits)
- a single %
- ARGUMENT as a string with `\' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form \0 or \0NNN
and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are handled.
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <email@example.com>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info printf
should give you access to the complete manual.