SPLITSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: March 2007
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEsplit - split a file into pieces
SYNOPSISsplit [OPTION] [INPUT [PREFIX]]
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is `x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -a, --suffix-length=N
- use suffixes of length N (default 2)
- -b, --bytes=SIZE
- put SIZE bytes per output file
- -C, --line-bytes=SIZE
- put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file
- -d, --numeric-suffixes
- use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic
- -l, --lines=NUMBER
- put NUMBER lines per output file
- print a diagnostic to standard error just before each output file is opened
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
AUTHORWritten by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info split
should give you access to the complete manual.