XDPRSection: User Commands (1)
Updated: Release 6
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMExdpr - dump an X window directly to a printer
SYNOPSISxdpr [ filename ] [ -display host:display ] [ -Pprinter ] [ -device devtype ] [ option ... ]
DESCRIPTIONXdpr uses the commands xwd, xpr, and lpr or lp to dump an X window, process it for a particular printer type, and print it out on the printer of your choice. This is the easiest way to get a printout of a window. Xdpr by default will print the largest possible representation of the window on the output page.
The options for xdpr are the same as those for xpr, xwd, and lpr or lp. The most commonly-used options are described below; see the manual pages for these commands for more detailed descriptions of the many options available.
- Specifies a file containing a window dump (created by xwd) to be printed instead of selecting an X window.
- Specifies a printer to send the output to. If a printer name is not specified here, xdpr (really, lpr or lp) will send your output to the printer specified by the PRINTER environment variable. Be sure that type of the printer matches the type specified with the -device option.
- -display host:display[.screen]
- Normally, xdpr gets the host and display number to use from the environment variable ``DISPLAY.'' One can, however, specify them explicitly; see X(1).
- -device devtype
Specifies the device on which the file will be printed. Currently supported:
- Digital LA100
- HP LaserJet series and other monochrome PCL devices such as ThinkJet, QuietJet, RuggedWriter, HP2560 series, and HP 2930 series printers
- Digital LN03
- HP PaintJet (color mode)
- HP HP PaintJet XL Color Graphics Printer (color mode)
- IBM PP3812
- PostScript printer
- The default is PostScript. -device lw (LaserWriter) is equivalent to -device ps and is provided only for backwards compatibility.
- This option displays the list of options known to xdpr.
SEE ALSOxwd(1), xpr(1), lpr(1), lp(1), xwud(1), X(1)
- which display to use by default.
- which printer to use by default.
COPYRIGHTCopyright X Consortium
See X(1) for a full statement of rights and permissions.
AUTHORSPaul Boutin, MIT Project Athena
Michael R. Gretzinger, MIT Project Athena
Jim Gettys, MIT Project Athena