sane-pixmaSection: SANE Scanner Access Now Easy (5)
Updated: 1 July 2006
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEsane-pixma - SANE backend for Canon PIXMA MP series
DESCRIPTIONThe sane-pixma library implements a SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) backend that provides access to Canon PIXMA multi-function devices (All-in-one printers). Currently, the following models work with this backend:
PIXMA MP150, PIXMA MP170, PIXMA MP450, PIXMA MP500
PIXMA MP800, PIXMA MP830,
MultiPASS MP700 (no grayscale), PIXMA MP750 (no grayscale)
The following model are marked as experimental because they are not well tested and/or the scanner sometimes hangs and must be switched off and on. Therefore they are disabled by default. (See PIXMA_EXPERIMENT below)
- MultiPASS MP730, PIXMA MP760, PIXMA MP780
The backend supports
* resolutions at 75,150,300,600,1200 and 2400 DPI,
* color and grayscale mode,
* a custom gamma table with 4096 entries and
* automatic document feeder.
The device name is in the form pixma:xxxxyyyy_zzzzz where x, y and z are vendor ID, product ID and serial number respectively. Example: pixma:04A91709_123456 is a MP150.
This backend is in alpha stage and will stay in this stage until we get the programming manual for the hardware. Although we have tested it as good as we could, it will not work in every situations. You will find an up-to-date status at the project homepage. (See below)
OPTIONSBesides "well-known" options (e.g. resolution, mode etc.) pixma backend also provides the following experimental options for button handling, i.e. the options might change in the future.
- This option can be used in combination with scanadf(1) and scanimage(1) in batch mode, for example when you want to scan many photos or multiple-page documents. If it is enabled (i.e. is set to true or yes), the backend waits before every scan until the user presses the "SCAN" button (for MP150) or the color-scan button (for other models). Just put the first page in the scanner, press the button, then the next page, press the button and so on. When you finished, press the gray-scan button. (For MP150 you have to stop the frontend by pressing Ctrl-C for example.)
- button-update button-1 button-2
- These options are interesting for developers. To check button status: (1) set button-1 and button-2 to zero, (2) set button-update (Its type is SANE_TYPE_BUTTON.), (3) get button-1 and button-2. If the result is not zero, the corresponding button was pressed.
- The static library implementing this backend.
- The shared library implementing this backend (present on systems that support dynamic loading).
- If the library was compiled with debug support enabled, this environment variable controls the debug level for this backend. Higher value increases the verbosity.
0 print nothing
1 print error and warning messages (recommended)
2 print informational messages
3 print debug-level messages
10 dump USB traffics
- Setting to a non-zero value will enable the support for experimental models. You should also set SANE_DEBUG_PIXMA to 10.
SEE ALSOsane(7), sane-dll(5), http://home.arcor.de/wittawat/pixma/
I would like to thank all testers and helpers. Without them I would not be able to write subdrivers for models I don't have. See also the project homepage.