GOMOKUSection: Games and Demos (6)
Index Return to Main Contents
NAMEgomoku - game of 5 in a row
SYNOPSIS[-bcdu ] [-D debugfile ] [inputfile ]
DESCRIPTIONis a two player game were the object is to get 5 in a row horizontally, vertically or diagonally on a 19 by 19 grid. By convention, black always moves first. With no arguments, will display a playing board and prompt for moves from the user. Valid moves are a letter for the column and a number for the row of an empty board location. Entering ``quit" or ``resign" will end the game. You can save the current state of the game by entering ``save" and supplying a file name when prompted. The optional file inputfile can be used to restore a saved game.
The options are:
- This option sets background mode. Input moves are read from standard input, the computer picks a move, and prints it to standard output. The first input line should be either ``black" or ``white" to specify whether has the first move or not respectively. This option was intended for game tournaments where a referee program handles the board display and pits one program against another.
- Computer verses computer. will play a game against itself. This is mostly used for testing.
- Print debugging information. Repeating this option more than once yields more detailed information.
- -D debugfile
- Print the debug information to debugfile instead of to the standard output.
- User verses user. This is mostly used for testing.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTSThe board display routines were based on the goref program written by Peter Langston.