Linux Blog

shell script argument lists too long

Filed under: Shell Script Sundays — TheLinuxBlog.com at 11:19 am on Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sometimes you will run into the problem of having too many files in a folder. This results in basic programs like rm and mv to not be able to process your commands. For example, I recently had to extract 52628 jpgs from seven zip files. Once extracted I realized that I had them in the wrong folder. Now, there are other ways I could have accomplished the same goals, such but for various reasons sometimes the easiest way (renaming the folder) was not feasible. Here is the solution: (Read on …)

Zend Studio Unexpectedly Quit Fix

Filed under: General Linux,Linux Software — TheLinuxBlog.com at 6:43 am on Monday, January 21, 2008

Zend Studio is a really good PHP IDE for Linux well worth the money. Although it has a high price tag this doesn’t mean that its bug free. I some times have little quirks with it but they seem to have been fixed since I added more ram. Anyway recently while I was trying to use Zend it just would not open. I had to use another PHP IDE on my Linux box until I could figure out the problem. Well, the problem was:

 This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Reinstalling Zend does not fix the issue. The issue seems to be in the configuration directory. All you have to do to fix this issue is:

 rm -r ZDE

I’d make a back up first if I were you, just incase, but mine was broken and I didn’t really have anything in the config directory except some saved urls so I just deleted it. Now my Zend Studio works like it used to again! Hurray!, Now I hope it wont do this again for another 6 months or so.

MPlayer Installer

Filed under: The Linux Blog News — TheLinuxBlog.com at 7:54 am on Monday, December 3, 2007

The current MPlayer Installer script that I uploaded to this site had a slight problem.

mplayer_setup.sh: line 9: rm-rf: command not found

I have fixed the spacing issue and re-uploaded the file.

Once I had done this I tried reinstalling again just to make sure it works and found out that it doesn’t work any more. The reason being the MPlayer package has been removed.

That being said I am going to be working on a new version of the Slackware Mplayer Installer but the first priority is to make the installer work. I will be swapping the essential codec pack to the all codec pack bundle. Then I will be working on making the installer more user friendly.

Hang tight, I should have it fixed soon. Once it is, I’ll make another post.